References to the history of The Manor have noted that, prior to it being purchased for the Esoteric Section of the Theosophical Society and named “The Manor”, it had an earlier name. It was known locally as “Bakewell’s Folly” or “Bakewell’s Mansion” after the man who built it, or “Garroch”.
However, details of the house published when it was offered for auction as part of the Bakewell Estate in September 1922 by Stanton and Son Ltd, Real Estate Agents and Auctioneers, provide the facts.
Stanton and Son offered for auction two houses, built by Bakewell, as part of his estate. One was “Garrock”. It was located at the corner of Wharf Road and Mary Street, and was described as an “Imposing Residence” of brick, with slate roof, having a hall, 2 reception rooms, a breakfast room, a billiard room, a ballroom, 5 main bedrooms, 2 maids’ rooms, 3 bathrooms, “all modern offices, exceptionally well appointed”. “The grounds are most attractively arranged in gardens, lawns, shrub, and arc surrounded by brick wall on stone coping. Area for tennis court. This is one of the finest private residences over the harbour, and lends itself for convenient alteration into flats.
The second house was indeed already named “The Manor”, and was on what was then Sarah Street, extending to the harbour front reservation. “This mansion residence comprises approximately 45 rooms, all exceptionally large, also servants’ quarters, garage, stables, laundries, and gardeners’ rooms…Such a fine property should be particularly desirable for an Educational Institution, Residential Flats, for a Private Hotel, or for a Large Hospital.”
The Sydney Morning Herald, Saturday 16 September 1922, Page 9
The Sydney Morning Herald, Saturday 2 September 1922, Page 18